The most important thing we can do – is to care. We have to care about the world we live in, the beauty we are surrounded by, the life that flourishes around.
Forests Are the Lungs of the Earth
Earth is beautiful. The 30% of its land area is covered with forests. These are the environs that play an important role in the planet functionality. They help control climate, regulating atmospheric gasses and maintaining rainfalls. More than 50% of the world’s species consider rainforests to be their home. But.
Every minute, forest the size of 20 football fields is felled. Every day we lose about 80, 000 acres of tropical rainforests. Experts agree, that in 100 years the remaining forests will disappear. We surely can plant another tree. But can we plant another ecology?
Nowadays the largest forest fell occurs in the following countries:
- Democratic Republic Congo
- Cote d’Ivoire
Why Are the Rainforests so Important?
Rainforests help control the weather and the overall planet temperature. Only Amazon produces about 20% of the oxygen.
But that’s not the full list:
• Rainforests had been evolving for about 100 million years, thus they came to be home for more than 35 million species of animals and plants. Deforestation will kill them all.
• Forests provide oxygen humans cannot live without. Moreover, they absorb the harmful carbon dioxide, WE release. What do we have? We release carbon dioxide that kills us and we kill rainforests that could save us. The irony of fate.
• A quarter of all the medicines we have today come from the plants grown in the rainforest. And this is only 1% of all the plants explored! What if we explore 100% of the rainforests plants? Probably we would have cures for all the diseases bothering us today. But again – we kill what can really save us.
• Forests regulate rainfalls, filtering water and supplying it to the rivers and irrigation systems. Our planet must be extremely thankful, so must be we.
• Rainforests are home for indigenous people, as still may tribes live in the heart of the rainforests all around the world.
The whole scope of deforestation process is horrifying. By killing the oldest ecosystem on the planet, we are losing the chance to live a fulfilled life on this planet. Our planet is such a beautiful place in the universe, we cannot let it die.
Why Are the Rainforests Felled?
The main cause of deforestation is humans. We find so many reasons for the rainforests cutting down:
- Wood for hardwood
- Road establishing
- Pulp for paper making paper
- Land for living
- Grazing land
These motives tell only one thing – people want the civilization to rule, but in 100 years, when rainforests disappear, we will prefer something different at all. Now we still have time for the big change to happen. WE must be this change. Otherwise, it will be too late.
What Can We Do about Global Deforestation?
So, what should we do to help save at least some of the remaining forests?
Tip 1. People are consumers in nature. Now we have to consume wisely. Recycling the products that made from trees (like paper) allows using them repeatedly. In such a way, we decrease the need for these products, thus – in the trees.
Tip 2. There are companies, that are environmentally friendly, they do not make any damage to nature and are of high quality. Many companies also sell products made out of recycled material. Such items are more expensive, but ecology is priceless.
Tip 3. Try to eat less meat. Lower demand for meat is lower demand for grazing land. Fewer grazing lands – more forests.
Tip 4. Read newspapers and magazines online.
Tip 5. Plant a tree, or two, or the forest.
The most important thing we can do – is to CARE. We have to care about the world we live in, the beauty we are surrounded by, the life that flourishes around. Indifference will never make a change. We are the ones who can do it.
My grandparents lived at the forest. When I was little I used to play there, have picnics with my family and friends, read my favorite books, dream big or just listen. That was a great time spent with the closest people in the amazing place. A year ago, it was felled. Every tree of my dream-place was cut down. Birds do not sing there anymore. I do not walk there anymore. It’s just an empty spot on the map and the hole in my heart. They fell our forests to construct the road, but they ruined much more.
It’s not only the problem of the rainforests disappearing. It’s a matter of every tree growing at the house or in the park. We have a big problem which needs an immediate solution. We cannot stay aside from this. Together we can stop the deforestation disaster.