Definition essay explains the meaning of a word or a concept. It’s just like explaining a new concept to your friend or acquaintance, with the only difference that it’s being done in writing. Generally, there is nothing easier than coming up with a definition essay topic – all you need to do is pick a concept and try to explain it.
While attempting to define or explain a concept, you need to remember that concrete (real world) concepts are a lot easier to explain than abstract ones. Conversely, abstract notions are a lot harder to explain.
If you are assigned to write a definition essay, read:
Here is a list of free definition topics that can be used to practice a definition essay writing.
Definition Essay Topics List
1. Define the meaning of friendship, love, hatred etc.
2. Explain what “buoyancy” means.
3. Define the meaning of “onomatopoeia”, “assonance”, “alliteration”.
4. Explain the term “Thatcherism”.
5. Explain the term “phase” as it relates to homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures.
6. Define the meaning of “confidentiality”.
7. Define the phenomenon of convergence.
8. Define the concept of “influence peddling”.
9. Define the concept of “culture”.
10. Define the term “surface tension”.
11. Is killing animals humanely?
12. Are carnivorous cannibals?
13. Is acting the same as pretending?
14. Is graffiti really art?
15. Are bananas fruit?
There also exists a mix of the definition and argument essay topics. You will need to argue that something should or shouldn’t be defined in a certain way. The basic formula for such argument of a definition essay is:
“Something is/isn’t something else” or “X is/isn’t Y”.
While explaining a given concept you should bear in mind that your actual explanation will vary depending on the academic level you are writing at. For example, if sixth-grade students were asked to explain what “friendship” is, their essay would most likely start out with
“Friendship is when…” or simply: “It is when…”
While this verbiage may be ok for a junior school, it is outrageously inappropriate to use it during college years. You need to take into account the level you are expected to perform at and make sure your writing matches those expectations, otherwise you’re in trouble.
Looking for the definition essay example? Here are 2 sample definition essays written by our writers:
If you need any assistance writing your definition essay, please feel free to contact our support staff and they will guide you through the entire process, ensuring you have learned to cope with this kind of assignment effectively. Place an order to get an instant quote.