How To Make a Thesis StatementUpdated: Oct 17, 2013
In scholarly interpretation,thesis is a specific statement that is usually placed in the introductory part of an essay, research paper, dissertation etc, and which is explained in subsequent body paragraphs.
In scholarly interpretation, thesis is a specific statement that is usually placed in the introductory part of an essay, research paper, dissertation etc, and which is explained in subsequent body paragraphs. Thesis of an article, report or other scientific work is a set of certain statements that are logically connected to each other. Therefore, the main task of the thesis statement is to discover and summarize the content of a larger work.
Thesis statement writing serves a whole set of purposes, for example: it indicates your ideas by putting them into a sentence or two, organizes the structure of your argument and provides your reader with a “guide” to your argument.
To make it easier to understand, your thesis statement should:
Be indicated in the beginning of your essay: either in the introduction or in the second paragraph, which will give your reader a sense of direction.
Be specific and limited. Normally, a thesis statement should answer one specific question, the answer to which will reflect the main idea of the essay.
Be clear and easy to understand, – that way your reader will understand you correctly.
Express your own position on the matter. Your thesis statement must clearly show what position you will take in relation to that topic and how you plan to analyze the subject or the issue.
Tips on Making a Thesis Statement
|Clearing your specific "angle"|
|Correct||Not just words in the process of moralizing kids, but exactly parents' actions reflecting these words, influence the psychology of children.|
|Incorrect||In this paper, I will discuss the influence of correct actions in the process of parenting.|
|Correct||Because our planet's future directly depends upon biological diversity, we should save the escaping species.|
|Incorrect||We must save the escaping species.|
|Reporting a fact|
|Correct||The fight with terrorism so widely discussed in the press is one of the most efficient tools to bring the nation together.|
|Incorrect||The problem of terrorism is very much spoken about.|
|Conclusions about a subject|
|Correct||Because diet pills provoke rapid weight loss that leads to the loss of muscle and lean body mass, it poses a great danger to consumers.|
|Incorrect||There are some negative and positive aspects of diet pills.|
If you are making thesis statement for a concrete text, you should follow a certain algorithm:
- Get acquainted with the content of the material, pay attention to the font selection.
- Break the text into meaningful units (with the help of a plan or an underscore).
- Identify the main idea of each part
- Define the main idea of the selected text, and describe it in your words or find the appropriate wording in the text.
- Make a plan, - it doesn’t have to be very detailed, you can just use bullets to outline main thoughts, – it will keep the logic of judgments.
How to Rule Thesis Statement from Purpose Statement
- A thesis statement is a sentence that does not simply announce a topic: it says something about the topic
- A purpose statement announces the purpose and direction of the paper, it informs the reader what to expect in a paper.
- A thesis statement summarizes conclusions which the writer has reached while researching the topic.
- A purpose statement does not preview specific conclusions which the writer has drawn.
- A thesis statement is generally located near the end of the introduction, sometimes it will be expressed in several sentences or an entire paragraph.
- A purpose statement usually appears in the end of the introduction, it is usually expressed in several sentences or even an entire paragraph.
- A thesis statement should be specific enough to match the boundaries of the paper: key words should be specific and accurate.
- A purpose statement should be specific enough to satisfy the requirements of the assignment.