As you may already know, an argumentative essay is a writing genre where the student establishes a position on a given or chosen topic and then uses evidence to persuade the audience to see things from his/her point of view. To write a great argumentative essay the students first have to investigate several sides of the argument, which allows them to make an educated stance. Then, they have to collect evidence, including facts, statistics, and claims from experts in the topic’s field.
Generally, the primary objective of writing an argumentative essay is to learn how to convince people to change their mind about things which many of them are pretty firm about.
What Makes a Good Argumentative Essay Topic?
When you are asked to choose a good topic for your argument, start with something you are familiar with. Even if you hire a professional writer to help you with this assignment, speaking about something you know will be a much better sounding presentation of your arguments. Choosing an emotional topic is also a good idea. Appealing to the readers’ emotions connects them to the side of the writer and draws them in. One of the best ways to change anyone’s mind is with an emotional investment.
Pick Your Own Topic or Get Your Essay Done For You
We offer a great list of topics for writing your own argumentative essay. Did you also know you can get your essay written for a small fee? We employ hundreds of professional writers, who specialize in essay, dissertation and research writing. They have written literally hundreds of academic papers for students worldwide. We know how to write a perfect custom written argumentative essay that will meet your requirements and will get you the grade you want. Contact us now to get professional essay writing help!
If you would like to write the paper on your own, below is the actual list of argumentative essay topics along with sample essays on most discussed ones:
Middle/High School-Level Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should teenagers be required to get their parents’ permission to obtain contraceptives?
- Should the number of passengers be limited in cars driven by minors?
- Should high school education be mandatory?
College-Level Argumentative Essay Topics
- When is military force justified?
- Should parents be held responsible for the crimes of their children?
- Should academic achievement be a primary consideration for college admission?
Try to Avoid These Argument Topics
Funny Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should you believe every word in an infomercial?
- Should funny cat videos be allowed on YouTube?
- What is the worst song in the world?
Classic Argumentative Essay Topics
- Computer games have a negative effect on individuals
- Sex education is the only way to eliminate many issues, including teenage pregnancy
- Are abortions legal?
Argument on Bioethics
Argument on Issues in the IT Sphere
- Some of Google services raise privacy and security concerns for people
- Download sites violate copyright rules
- Should YouTube comments be regulated?
- The Internet has been overly commercialized. Agree or disagree?
Argumentative Topics for Legal Discussions
- Is gun control an effective method of reducing crime?
- Is death penalty justified?
- Do you believe euthanasia (assisted suicide) is right?
- The book “Twelve Angry Men” represents democracy with its flaws
- Should same-sex marriages be made legal?
- Torture is never justified
- Smoking in public places should be banned
- Society is becoming over-regulated
- Legalization of marijuana in some states is wrong
- Production and sale of cigarettes should be made illegal
Argumentative Topics of Social Concerns
- Cross-cultural marriages contribute to racial tolerance
- Single-parent children behavior is different than that of children with both parents
- Women are less engaged in criminal activity than men
- Young people are predisposed to negative influence because they are more rebellious by nature
- Violence in the media causes violence in children
- Sexual content on TV has a negative impact on teenagers
- Homeschooling is an ideal way to obtain quality education
- Forests are the lungs of the Earth. Should rainforests destruction be prohibited?
- Should countries drill for oil in protected areas to reduce gas prices?
- Global warming is a myth
- To what extent are electric cars a solution to global pollution?
Society and the Media
- Media influence the female perception of the body image. Agree or disagree.
- Violent video games directly correlate to violence in schools. Agree or disagree.
- Should cities preserve old buildings?
- Diets don’t help to lose weight
- Financial rewards are the only way to gain employee loyalty
- Life-long learning is no longer required for career success
- Correspondence Theory of Truth appears to be plausible and defendable
- Dokdo islands are Korean property and should not be claimed by Japan
- Ghost hunting is pure fiction
Now, once you have chosen a good topic from the list, try to lay down your thoughts on your screen. Here are some tips on how to do it right:
Tips on Writing a GREAT Argumentative Essay
Here is how your argumentative essay should be structured:
Adhering to the above structure of an argumentative essay will hold your creative process together:
- The first paragraph offers a brief review of the topic, explains its importance, and shares the essay’s clear and concise thesis statement.
- After the introduction come the body paragraphs, in which the writer develops his/her arguments and supports them with valid and reliable evidence.
- The support should be anecdotal, logical, statistical, or factual depending on the essay’s topic.
- Following the argument paragraphs, the writer shares the opposing views.
- Ending the paragraph is the conclusion. This paragraph is quite important since it leaves the reader with the most immediate impression. The writer should synthesize the information shared in the body of the essay as they restate the topic’s importance, review main points, as well as review the thesis. No new information should be shared in the conclusion.
Here is another cool tip to make your arguments sound stronger: use connection words!
How Do I Use Connection Words While Writing an Argumentative Essay?
Transition or connection words and phrases hold your essay together. They provide flow as they connect thoughts and ideas.
|Addition||additionally; also; and; as a matter of fact; as well as; equally; equally important; furthermore; identically; in addition; in the first place; like; likewise; not only…but also; not to mention; similarly; together with; too|
|Contrast||above all; after all; albeit; although; although this may be true; as much as; be that it may; besides; but; conversely; despite; different from; even so/though; however; in contrast; in reality; in spite of; nevertheless; nonetheless; notwithstanding; of course…, but; on the contrary; on the other hand; or; otherwise; rather; regardless; whereas;|
|Cause or Purpose||as; as/so long as; because of; due to; for fear that; for the purpose of; given that; granted (that); if…then; in case; in view of; in order to; in the event that; in the hope that; lest; only/even if; owing to; provided that; seeing/being that; since; so as to; so that; unless; when; whenever; while; with this in mind|
|Examples or Support||another key point; as an illustration; by all means; chiefly; especially; for example; for instance; for this reason; in fact; in other words; notably; specifically; surprisingly; to point out; truly|
|Consequence or Result||accordingly; as a result; because the; consequently; due to; for; for this reason; hence; in effect; in that case; since; so that; therefore; with the result that|
|Conclusion / Summary / Restatement||after all; all things considered; as a result; as can be seen; as shown above; consequently; for the most part; generally speaking; given these points; in conclusion; in fact; to summarize;|
How Is Knowing All This Going to Help Me?
Writing a good argumentative essay develops your argumentative thinking. You will need it to not only survive among your peers today but also succeed among the humans around you in the future. Most of the businesses and partnerships prosper through argument. Getting the right arguments will help you prove your point and win.
The modern world is ruled by the intellect. Those win who keep themselves focused on becoming stronger at what they are set to choose as the profession. It means no distraction on things of little importance.
That's right, in order to succeed, you need to stay focused on what you really feel and are willing to devote your life to. And it should really take up most of your time. Seriously. The more research you can do to get better at your future profession, the better.
We have been writing papers for students since 2005. You are welcome to use our essay writing service as one of the instruments of your career success strategy.
Here is a fun fact: Most of the geniuses out there are drop-outs. They were too focused on what really mattered to them and couldn't get their homework done on time. No matter if you run a successful business, get a busy job in a big corporation, need to visit your family or have an emergency - failing your module is a horrible possibility. That is why our writers are here to help you 24/7. If Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates knew about our service, we bet they could have gotten their degree on time by having the research handy.